The chapel was built in 1782 on the site of an initial structure dating from the 16th century, of which no trace remains. Although the name of the architect is unknown, the Walcourt Chapel is part of the quest for character and the sublime which characterises the architecture of the end of the Enlightenment.
The apparent simplicity of its centered layout inscribed in a square is reinforced by the rigorous composition of its facades. The austere beauty of the Givet-stone cladding is highlighted by a massive entablature. The protruding door frames (en saillie) on the cladding are alone in providing a subtle interplay of shadows. Within, a brick cladding forms a second layer.