© Véronique Nosbaum

PALAIS LUMIÈRE

CONVERSION OF THE FORMER THERMAL BATHS AT ÉVIAN-LES-BAINS INTO A CULTURAL CENTRE

Palais Lumière is the name given to the former thermal baths at Évian-les-Bains due to its proximity to the ancient home of the Lumière brothers, the first users of the cinematograph. It was constructed in 1902 by Ernest Brunnarius and Jean-Albert Hébrard on the shore of Lake Geneva.

In 2003 we were selected by the City of Évian-les-Bains to transform this building into a cultural and conference centre and to carry out restoration works.

© Véronique Nosbaum
© Véronique Nosbaum
© Véronique Nosbaum

The project required extensive redevelopment for the creation of a 300-seat lecture theatre, a municipal media library, and a museum. We decided to integrate our plan into the very structure of the building, retaining the magnificent glazed ceilings that had been slated for demolition, so that they may diffuse the natural light arriving from the glazed roof and reveal the former arrangement of the baths.

In addition to restoring the facades and roofings, we also decided to restore the dome, which had been demolished. Visible from Lausanne on the opposing Swiss shore, it provides symbolic value to this monument destined to become a leading cultural centre for the city and surrounding area.

This project conforms to the criteria of the French construction standard “Haute Qualité Environnementale”.

Location
Évian-les-Bains
Mission
Redevelopment
and restoration
Programme
Culture
Contractor
City of Évian-les-Bains
Team
Chatillon Architectes
(associate architect),
Michel Spitz
(lead architect)
Budget
€ 25m excl. VAT
Timetable
2003-2007
© Véronique Nosbaum