The City Hall building was constructed between 1772 and 1776 on the site of a former 16th-century hospital, as part of the Champagne-city's beautification project at the time to create a genuine provincial capital. The king took on the construction, and the city provided the materials.
Designed by architect Jean-Nicolas Louis Durand, the building's facade is divided into three sections: a front section with six Ionic columns, a pediment, and two wings – all in the classical French style. The pediment is decorated with an allegory of the city. A woman adorned with a crown of turrets is surrounded by putti, which symbolize the treasures of the region: the grapes for the vineyards, and the wheat for agriculture. On the steps, Antoine Lépine sculpted four lions in 1778.